- Areas of Expertise
Non-Invasive Vascular Testing
At Sentara Vascular Specialists, we use our advanced, state-of-the-art facilities to diagnose all vascular conditions. Sentara's Peripheral Vascular Laboratory allows our specialists to create highly sophisticated images of your veins and arteries to view blockages, clots, abnormal narrowing, and flow disorders using imaging technologies. These images help our specialists evaluate circulatory disturbances involving blood flow to the brain, arms, hands, legs, and feet. Sentara Vascular Specialists believes in using the most comprehensive, least invasive methods possible, which ensures that you receive the best care with the lowest risk for pain and complications.
All of our vascular technologists are highly skilled and have extensive experience in the area of non-invasive testing. Tests we perform include:
- Ankle brachial index (ABI), which is the blood pressure in your ankle divided by the blood pressure in your arm. If the ratio is 0.90 or less, the blood flow to your leg may be partially blocked, which indicates leg artery disease.
- Doppler and duplex ultrasound, which use high-frequency sound waves to create moving images of your vessels.
- Magnetic resonance angiogram (MRA), where radio waves and a magnetic field produce detailed images.
- Computed tomography angiogram (CTA), where a contrast material or dye is typically injected into your vein and cross-sectional x rays of your vessels are taken.
Once we can clearly see your blood vessels, we can assess your vascular system and make appropriate treatment recommendations. Non invasive imaging can help us diagnose the following disorders:
- Aortic aneurysms
- Cerebrovascular issues
- Carotid artery disease
- Peripheral artery and venous diseases
- Renal and mesenteric blood vessel abnormalities
- Diseases and disorders of the veins
We view the process as a partnership with you, your family, and your primary doctor. We strive first and foremost to make you comfortable and well.
Sentara's Peripheral Vascular Laboratory is accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories (ICAVL).